Friday, June 28, 2013

Seletha Head Tucker

Shared publicly  -  Jun 24, 2013
Blog: Welcoming Families From Around the World

My country of choice for the family is Cambodia and I will use a healthcare setting or hospital for my place of employment.  I would begin by researching the country itself along with the history, languages of that country. I would then try to find out as much information about the family.  Is there any history of the family in this country before?  Is there a chance the children or members of the family have attended school in this country.  If not, I would begin to call the different schools in that area that can give me any information on how I would be able to speak with these people in case they do not speak my language. I would also try to find out if there were things I could do to make them feel comfortable in our country.  I would work on the things that I would say to them and how I would address them.  If the male is the head of the household and the spokesperson for the family, I would begin speaking with him and allow him to answer questions until he permitted me to do otherwise. I think going back to look over my notes and my assignments on ethnicity would also better prepare me to do the job to the best of my ability.
By doing these things, I allow myself a chance to be more calm about meeting people from another country and would feel better about communicating with them. This would also put the family more at ease, knowing that I took the time to research information about them and their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment