Saturday, December 21, 2013


REFLECTING ON LEARNING

This class has truly enlightened me on the wealth of information we have received about biases and stereotypes. This has given me information on how things are perceived and how we can help to make things easier for the children. I have learned that things I can do to help with the different questions students may have about a different race of people or culture and also how to teach children about others with disabilities. This information will help me learn what things I need to put in place to allow all students of every culture a chance to express themselves and ways I can bring the families together to help them better understand the differences we all have and how we can be an asset to each other. 
I want to work more to find out as much information as I can and will begin to work on examples of how I can relay to children the need to not criticize something they do not understand. It is so easy to offend without knowing and I want to be able to break the bonds that have been in place that allow students to feel comfortable criticizing others. I want to be an example of love and compassion to all students and want to help families distill the notion that one race or gender is greater than another.

I wish all of my colleagues well in all that they endeavor to do in their lives and appreciate all of the information each of them have shared to help me get to this part of my journey.  May God bless each of you and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Now let's go out and change the world. 


3 comments:

  1. Seletha,
    I agree teaching children and love and compassion is a wonderful thing. I also find that by teaching them love and compassion that it will allow them to tap into emotions they knew very little about or needed help discovering. This class has provided us as early childhood professionals with the tools to impact the world, and it is my hope that if every professional use what we have been given that it will create a domino effect of families and children respecting diversity. Thanks so much for provided wonderful insight on how diversity influences or has influenced you. I wish you all the best and Happy Holidays from my family to yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I feel as though we have learned so much and come so far in our understanding of anti biased education though this class. I too hope that I will be able to continue to develop this understanding and use it to help the children and families that I work with develop strong relationships and progress on their own level of personal development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been great working with you Seletha! You're right, we have learned a lot. I feel like I'm ready to work with early childhood learners and I can't wait to do it. Have a wonderful Christmas. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete