Friday, December 6, 2013

Blog Assignment: The Sexualization of Early Childhood

"Many industries make an obscene amount of money using sex and violence to market their products to children. Whatever their race, ethnic group, economic status, or gender, and whether they can afford to buy a lot or very few of these products, children are deeply affected" (Levin & Kilbourne (2009).  This was a very interesting article.  It is true that society such as the media has increased the awareness of sex.  This has definitely had an affect on how our children view sex.  Children should not be in elementary school worrying about their size or worrying about whether they are compatible to someone of the opposite sex. I do not feel at that early age that they are aware of their own bodies or are able to handle things such as relationships. Some of the information is shocking to hear about how society has changed since I was a child. 

I have several nieces and nephews and was certain I wanted to spend my life as a teacher in middle school.  While attending a track meet at one of the schools.  I noticed one of my nieces and her friends hugged up together on the bleachers. These children spent the entire track meet running back and forth hugging and some kids were kissing. This was very challenging for me and I started to realize how things have changed.

While spending time at my church with some of the preteens, I notice one child wearing makeup and having her eyebrows arched. I was so surprised that this child was wearing makeup and one other adult asked the parent about this and she replied the child wanted it and she allowed it. I do believe this takes away from the child's youth and makes her want to be an adult much older than she should be.  


As a teacher, I have noticed that children start spending more time together and start communicating more with the opposite sex. Often the little boys and girls are choosing their boyfriends and girlfriends and seem to seriously believe that they are in a relationship. I find this alarming but I do not feel these children are prepared to have their hearts broken this early on in life.


I want to help children to realize that things such as sexuality at an early age. I do believe things are happening too fast and children are getting the wrong idea from what they are seeing in the media. I believe they are confused about what they see and they need to have these things explained to them. They should be able to talk about what they are feeling and need to ask questions about what is going on as far as sexual relationships go.  There are so many diseases out there and I do believe they have enough information about what oral sex and sexual intercourse to be engaging in it. Not knowing all the information about diseases and even pregnancy can seriously hurt our children. 


Mothers and grandmothers should not have to continue to spend their lives helping to raise children that are fathered or mothered by children. I do not believe they are mature enough mentally or psychologically to handle pregnancy or diseases that can possibly kill them. These are serious things that need to be addressed early on, especially now that sexuality is so popular in the media.

Schools should foster all types of information and materials to enlighten the students on what is out there and what can happen to them if they continue to engage in sexual activities without protection or knowledge of what can happen.


Levin, D. E., & Kilbourne, J. (2009). [Introduction]. So sexy so soon: The new sexualized childhood and what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Seletha,
    Great post!!! You are right things have changed with children of today. Although I may be the youngest I have seen dramatic changes in how sex has been brought to the forefront in children's lives. To me, sex is everywhere for example, when I was younger cartoons were innocent and now there are sexual conversations and characters engaging in sexual acts. I find there are no limits like there once were, but it is my hope that one day soon, these images and sexual behaviors are shielded from children to protect their innocence and youth. Thanks again for sharing your post.


    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that SO much has changed. I see everyday young children ( I'm talking 1st/2nd grade) coming to school with weave....noticeable weave, color in their hair, make-up, and more on. I sometimes wonder why parents even allow this, but I think that many find it to be cute or okay. Because the world is advancing so much, many feel that it is perfectly okay for their children to do the same. I understand that in some cases, children will be exposed to these types of things no matter how hard we try to keep them away, but should definitely NOT be encouraged. Remember the saying, "it takes a village to raise a child". Sometimes it takes adults like us to teach these babies something differently. We MUST break this cycle of teen pregnancies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that lifestyles are so different and things are constantly changing within society. The things that the media is allowed to display on daytime television would have never been allowed years ago. Children are being exposed to sexual topic far before their are mature enough to understand them or live with the implication of their actions. it is not fair that children today are growing up in a society that places to much importance on appearance and sexualization.

    ReplyDelete