Saturday, October 26, 2013

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED     
   


One hope that you have when you think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds (any format and any length).


One hope that I have when I think about working with children and their families who happen to come from diverse backgrounds is that I realize the great opportunity I have to learn more about their culture and their likes and their differences. I hope that I can make that family feel comfortable, loved and appreciated for who they are and allow them to teach me things about their culture. I want to be able to take the information that I learn from them and pass it on to others in the classroom as well as other faculty and staff members and my own family. 
One goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice (any format and any length).
My goal is to be an ambassador for early childhood education in the issues of diversity and equity. I want people to realize that this world is made up of so many people that are different and that everyone matters. I want people to know that we are a great country because of our differences and these differences are assets. I want to do research on the things that are going on in my own State of Tennessee, and see what I can do to help children in early childhood deal with biases and prejudices. 

A brief note of thanks to your colleagues
I would like to take this time to thank all of my colleagues along with the professor for all the rich information, all of the interesting posts of collages, the poems, and the videos.  All of these things have helped to enlighten me on diversity and biases.  I have truly enjoyed this class and wish everyone well in all they endeavor to do. God bless you all!!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the way that you looked at 'learning about diverse backgrounds' as an OPPORTUNITY! Indeed it is a pleasure to learn new things that we didn't know before and indeed we should embrace it all because the world is full of it! I've enjoyed working with you during this course and wish you the best in the near future! Thanks for all you've contributed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seletha
    Making our families feel appreciated is so important. I have found the because of their own fears about what they don't know about diversity, some educators are not accepting of families from other countries. This is something that needs to change. It has been great working with you. I hope that we're able to work together in the next class. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete