Thursday, August 1, 2013

BLOG ASSIGNMENT

There were problems on my job with the administrative team and the laboratory team. Things were getting missed or eliminated and it was causing problems with our jobs. We could not consistently perform our jobs to the best of our abilities because of lack of communication. One coworker began going t o the boss about the situation without first speaking with the people on the other team. The boss then ridicules the other team and sends out an email to that affect. The laboratory team were unsure of how to handle the situation so decided to not do the task and asked if we would do it for them to keep down confusion. In dealing with this situation, I asked what could be done to rectify the situation because at this point the confidence and loyalty the lab team has with us has been compromised. I feel we should have discussed efforts in solving the issue without consulting the boss. I believe if we had used the three R's, especially respect and relationship, this could have been prevented altogether. In speaking about the subject in a meeting, I began asking questions to try to get a solution to the problem. The administrative team did not want to compromise and felt it necessary to continue giving bad reports to the boss. I am part of the administrative team but don't want to be part of the problem but the solution. I suggested the lab team do what they were asked to do and then communicate when there were discrepancies that were beyond their control. I sincerely believe respect others and treating others the way you want to be treated would definitely help in this situation.

3 comments:

  1. Seletha,
    I agree respect goes a long way and over the years the human race has forgotten that simple yet effective principle. I agree that your boss should not have been consulted without the two teams collectively working to solve the problem. It is my opinion that once the higher person in charge gets involved it makes individuals believe that no one can be trusted. I hope soon there is a resolution to this problem and good luck the rest of the school term.

    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seletha,
    In our reading the people who felt powerless would be the most emotional in a conflict situation. It sounds like this is the case with your situation. Giving respect and the empathetic listening is key. I also think it sounds like a good idea to have check points like you said, that way it is an ongoing problem solving resolution. Good luck and keep the great communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seletha,

    I am having a similar situation with my job and completely agree with you, respect is important. I think people tend to forget that point and sometimes companies tend to lose great people because that respect is not there. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete