Thursday, August 8, 2013

Blog Assignment

I have been involved in several groups, mostly in being a part of online groups while pursuing my degree. Some of the groups were involved in getting projects together such as power point presentations and others like this one, spending most of my time commenting on their posts. I have a few colleagues that have been in several of my classes here at Walden and it has indeed been a great opportunity learning about so many things that are different from what I am used to. I hope to be able to continue my communication with some of the colleagues long after we have received our degree. I believe I find that those groups where we performed the best and achieved exactly what we were trying to achieve were the hardest to leave, especially if we worked together for more than a month. I believe most groups don’t take the time to adjourn. I believe we go through all the other stages of forming, storming, norming and performing but often do not adjourn the group. I believe we do the last assignment and simply dissolve. There have been groups that I have been a part of where everyone wants to be the leader and everyone is working hard to make the best grades. It was a pleasure working on a project with them because we all had a set purpose and that was to do well. Even though I was part of a group at church where it ended up being three people that finished the project, it build closer relationships and also allowed us to continue working together years after that. I do wish we had taken the time to adjourn the groups but I believe because we never had true relationships at the beginning, it was easy to just dissolve.

4 comments:

  1. Seletha,

    I also like working in small groups because you can establish close relationships. There is a certain level of trust that is established and sometimes I think that makes it easier to work in a group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seletha,
    you are so right, so many people do not take the time to adjourn. I never thought of it as a crucial part of team work but I realize it is. Taking the time to thank people that often doesn't happen during a busy project. Thank you for your post

    ReplyDelete
  3. How true that so often we just walk away from a group without completing the phase of adjourning! Maybe now that we are more aware of it, we will work to make this more of a part of our group work. I think it is such an important part of the process and can see how it adds to the whole overall experience. I do hope that a lot of our interactions will continue once we receive our degree, I have come to truly value the insights and interactions with my colleagues at Walden.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seletha,
    It has been a pleasure growing and maturing in effective communication with you these past several weeks. I have seen growth on all our parts and I have really enjoyed getting to know and sharing posts with you. I wish you all the best in the world and continue to be a great professional in the ECE field. Thanks again and best of luck!!!

    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete